Remote learning reshapes daily routines

With the first quarter of the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) school year ending on November 10, remote learning has reshaped students’ lives. Factors like grade level and extracurriculars have resulted in  new and unique routines for students as they find balance between academics and other commitments.

Some students have struggled more than others to adjust to remote learning. Freshman Alexa Schroeder, who runs cross country and takes all honors classes, said, “I like the remote schedule. Zoom is definitely less awkward now and it feels like we are all getting used to [it].” 

With remote classes starting at 8:00 A.M., and transportation unnecessary for most, students are able to sleep in more than they did last year when school started at 7:40 A.M. Alexa, who considers herself organized and productive, starts her day around 7:15 A.M. and focuses on completing her schoolwork during the extended lunch period called ‘Flex’ and in study hall. After school, she attends cross country practice where she is able to interact with others. “Since we are able to see each other in person everyday it’s easier to make new friends and be social,” she said.

For students who are taking challenging courses, remote learning can be time-consuming from the assignments . Junior Ed Cherry is taking honors and Advanced Placement (AP) classes. “Taking six hours of classes on a screen and then doing six hours of homework is not my favorite,” he said. If it wasn’t for COVID-19, Ed says he would prefer in-person schooling over remote learning.

Alison agrees that remote learning has presented difficulties for students with a large workload. “It’s a very long time to be looking at a screen and that can be very detrimental in terms of energy,” said Alison. “I think it would definitely be beneficial for me, at least, to go back to school in a hybrid mode safely.” 

Typically, Alison has three and a half hours of homework, meaning she sometimes gets up at 6:00 A.M. to finish. Alison said, “I am as organized as I have to be to preserve my mental health.”   

Students may soon be transitioning into the new hybrid model, allowing some to come into the school for two days a week. Although this schedule will likely work for most people, it excludes students with medical conditions, including Ed. “The hybrid idea seems pretty okay. I will not be able to do it because I have certain health conditions, but for those who are willing to take a chance, I believe [the hybrid model] is the best of the best.”