New enrollees adjust to life on Island

Brooke Crocker and Ava Maggi

At least two new students at Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) have found themselves here due to a last-minute decision to enroll as a result of the pandemic. Neither sophomore Violette Wetterhahn nor junior Millie Hege would have predicted at the start of summer that they’d be switching schools this fall, but so far they’re adjusting well. 

Violette Wetterhahn, who moved from the suburbs of New York City, was already quarantining here on the Vineyard when her family made the decision to stay in mid-August. “We like it a lot better than New York,” she said.

Millie and her family are from Baltimore, MD. “I just rent a house here during the summer,” she said. “My parents were in the car one day, and it was like the end of July or beginning of August. We were talking about how the house was going be up at the end of the month. I was like, ‘Why don’t we just stay?’ It all happened in the matter of a week or so.”

I didn’t know anyone at all,” said Violette, “but everyone has been so friendly that it hasn’t been difficult to make friends. Breakout rooms have helped me a lot.”  

Millie knew some students prior to moving here full time. “If I noticed someone I thought I would get along well with I would just add them on Snapchat. It was definitely more difficult when I went into my class, but luckily I had [a friend in junior] Ava Vought,” she said.

Despite the challenges of moving, the new students are enjoying the Island. “The beaches are amazing,” said Violette. “The only thing is that you have to shop online for most things and the post office is always crowded. The main difference between MV and NY is that the Vineyard is more tight knit. In NY, everybody minds their own business and stays in their own little group. I guess what I’m saying is there’s a community here.”

“I love living on the Vineyard,” said Millie. “I just like being able to walk and go places. I can’t go anywhere in Baltimore. I miss my friends I guess, but I’m not too [upset] about it.” 

She added, “Even though it does seem scary to just pick up and move in a short period of time, it’s helped me deal with change and opening up to a new environment and being comfortable in a new environment so quickly.”