Student Spotlight: Stella Napior

Photo courtesy of Stella Napior

Brooke Crocker

Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) offers a work study program to students in 11th and 12th grade, through which students are able to obtain paid, supervised employment outside of school during the day and, once approved, receive course credit. Senior Stella Napior participates in a work study program at Tea Lane Associates as a mentee under her mother, Jill Hobby Napior, where she learns about the inner workings of office life and realty on Martha’s Vineyard. 

“I didn’t really want my mentor to be my mom,” Stella said, “but it has been fine because I can get more experience at home as well and do other stuff outside of the one hour that I have [to learn through the mentorship during school].” 

Stella has only recently become interested in realty, after spending more time with her mother during quarantine, watching her deal with contracts and potential buyers. “For a long time I thought that I wanted to be working with kids when I was older,” she said, “then I saw my mom working a lot from home when quarantine first started and it really sparked my interest.” 

“I don’t get to go on house showings with [my mom] due to the virus. I am mostly running errands or working in the office organizing files and things so I haven’t really seen it head on,” she said. “I am hoping that will change soon. It’s nice to get out of the house for a time during the whole entire school day online. It’s fun,”  she said. 

She has also been able to acquire new skills through her work. “It’s a little bit embarrassing, but there’s a lot of things like making key copies or other things that I never had to do before,” Stella said. “I wanted to treat my mom like she was not my mom so that if I didn’t know how to do something I didn’t want to be calling her saying ‘mom, can you please help me.’ It’s teaching me to be independent and focus. ”