Alumni advice to seniors

Spencer Pogue, Assistant Editor

As the holiday season rolls around, seniors, when in the presence of relatives and extended family, are inevitably bound to hear the question: “So what will you do after high school?” Senior year can be a difficult time, because there are many emotionally straining aspects at play: the yearning to graduate, the nostalgia of having high school come to an end, and the looming unknown of what to do after walking off the stage with a diploma, to name a few. Recent graduates of the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) have offered their most valuable advice in order to help current seniors make it to the finish line.

Ben Nadelstein, a graduate of the Class of 2017, studies theater and communications at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. His approach to having a successful senior year was focused on making the most of the resources at hand. “Make sure to talk to teachers and people you find interesting and learn from them,” he said. “Get book recommendations, because you aren’t going to remember the useless things you memorized for a test.”

He also stressed the importance of finding mentors in people who work in the fields that you take an interest in. “The things that strike you profoundly usually come from honest and intellectually-stimulating content, whether from teachers who deeply understand a certain subject you are interested in or from authors who presents ideas that interest you.”

Danielle Hopkins, a fellow Class of 2017 graduate studying at Barnard College, tried to put the enormity of senior year events into perspective. “I would say that there’s so much more to life than where you get into school or what grades you get on the exams,” she said.

On a similar note, Garrett Zeilinger, a Class of 2017 graduate studying at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, stressed the importance of staying focused on the present and not taking your final moments before adulthood for granted.

“My advice would be to enjoy every moment,” he said. “Graduation comes quick, and soon you’ll find yourself reminiscing on the best high school moments. Don’t worry too much about what your future may look like. Follow your passions and plan ahead, but have the ability to adjust as life comes your way. College decisions are indeed stressful; however, be optimistic.