Spotlight on student mentorships

Theo Fairchild-Coppoletti, Sara Creato, and Molly Boldino

David Krauthamer

David Krauthamer is a senior attending MVRHS. David is one of the students currently participating in a mentorship. His mentorship is working with technical theater in the PAC, which involves programing and setting up all of the lighting; each different show or event taking place in the PAC requires a different setup. “It’s hard to hear what the actors are saying if you can’t see their faces,” David explains.

This is the first year David is working in the PAC as an official mentorship, but he has been involved with it for a couple years. He was first introduced to it sophomore year by a friend, where it started to morph into an interest. David is not sure if he wants to pursue technical theater professionally, but he knows it will at least be a hobby of his.

For David, starting the mentorship was actually a surprisingly easy experience; after some brief paperwork he was good to go. He recommends that other students try mentorships out as well. David says that his mentorship has taken away a lot of stress and created a constructive experience. —Theo Fairchild-Coppoletti

Abby Marchand

I enter the newspaper office of the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) during flex block on Thursday. I am here to meet with senior, Abby Marchand about her mentorship at the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital in Oak Bluffs.

When I arrive at the newspaper office, she is already there and we immediately begin. She talks about what she is currently doing during her mentorship, which is following and observing emergency room nurses and patients. “I’ve always been interested in health since middle school so I figured that I would just figure out what the nurses do and if I was interested in it for college.” Says Abby when asked what made her fascinated with her mentorship. “I look forward to interesting things with patients. This might sound bad but when they (the patients) have cuts and watching them get stitches and other interesting stuff.” She says with a laugh.

Finally, I ask Abby what is the most valuable thing you’ve learned so far. “How the nurses work and how everything functions behind the scenes because you never really know how everything works out until you start working with them, so it’s been eye opening seeing how everything works out.” —Sara Creato

Jillian Pyden

Jillian Pyden, senior at Martha’s Vineyard Regional High school, visits the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital two to three times a week in pursuit of learning and helping patients in need. She is able to “observe the roles of nurses and doctors before, during and after surgery.” This allows Pyden to further her knowledge about a career she hopes to soon pursue. The work study also lets her scrub into surgeries, being able to observe closely first hand. Pyden receives the “full OR experience” from this wonderful opportunity. Unfortunately, every mentorship includes its handful of least favorite parts, making the best days that much better. In Pyden’s case, she is only able to see little to nothing on slow days, but when the OR is up and bustling, she is given the chance to “see some amazing surgeries” that most teenagers aren’t able to watch and study. —Molly Boldino