Leadership class aims to boost school moral

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leadership students paint the boys' locker room.

Katie Morse

Katie Morse

Katie Morse

Addy Hayman, Assistant Editor in Chief

In the first of four phases dedicated to school beautification, the process of renovating the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) boys’ and girls’ locker rooms is underway. The leadership classes at MVRHS, taught by history department chair Olsen Houghton and chemistry teacher Dr. Natalie Munn, worked together to spearhead the project. The elective encourages students to initiate school- and community-based projects. This year, boosting school morale is a central focus of both leadership classes.

The whole project, which Dr. Munn’s class anticipates to complete by the end of the semester, will involve the painting of the girls’ and boys’ locker rooms, the painting and redecoration of the gym entrance foyer, and the possible addition of a pergola and/or improved outside seating right before the gym entrance.

Senior Jack Creighton teamed up with junior Kyle Rollins to lead the refurbishment of the locker rooms. He said, “When looking at the school as a whole, the locker room stood out to me as an area that was in need of some attention. All students have to use the locker rooms, and those who play sports spend a lot of time in there, so I thought it was time to refresh their looks.”

Jack and Kyle initiated the effort by administering a survey to students about the current conditions of the locker room. After coming to a consensus that the locker room was in need of renovation, Jack and Kyle made orders through the school for paint, furniture, and shower curtains. These organizational and planning skills are something the leadership class is looking to foster; therefore, project execution accounts for 80 percent of each student’s grade. The remaining 20 percent is based on participation.

“I really wanted to start a leadership project based around the athletic facilities that the school has,” said Kyle. Since starting the project at the beginning of the year, Kyle said his favorite part of the process was seeing an idea that started in a classroom be implemented.

The initiative to start repainting the locker room area is part of a larger effort by the leadership teachers and their students to increase school pride. Other projects involve incorporating plants, student artwork, and quotes into the classrooms and hallways.

“We were just feeling that pride and spirit needed a little boost. How do you gain pride and spirit if you are walking through the halls and are feeling uninspired?” said Dr. Munn.

Jack said, “Making the locker rooms feel new and fresh with our school colors and logo will hopefully increase the school spirit. Also, I hope it will show other students that it’s possible and worthwhile to put in work to improve the school where it needs improvement.”

Senior leadership student Katie Morse said, “I love that this class is totally student-driven. We’re encouraged to pick which projects we want to focus on, and see them through from start to finish. Seeing projects like the locker rooms come together is so exciting and rewarding.”

Junior leadership student Bella Giordano said, “My favorite part of helping out with this project was getting to hear all the positive feedback from the students at our school. So far it looks like this project has helped to lift some school spirit and helped to make the students feel like their sport, or even gym class experience, is cared about.”

Bella is working on a plan to improve post-secondary education where she hopes to bring MVRHS alumni into the school to speak to students about the process of taking the next step after high school. “Hopefully this will lead to a less stressful, and better prepared, journey for students,” she said.

Funds to complete the beautification project came from internal funding and MVRHS school supply money. Close to 75 students participated in this project, a combination of both of the leadership classes and students from Dr. Munn’s chemistry classes.

“The painting cannot be done without the help of our other peers in leadership, students from Dr. Munn’s other classes, and Coach [Ryan] Kent,” Jack said in acknowledgment.

In addition to the painting, banners and a mural will be hung on the walls inside and outside the locker rooms. New benches will be installed in the boys’ locker room, and new shower curtains will be hung in the girls’ locker room.

“It’s not only the students’ space, but it is also a space that represents the school to visiting teams, and we want it to have a really clean, strong appeal,” Dr. Munn said.

About the Writer
Addy Hayman, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Addy Hayman is an Assistant Editor-in-Chief and has been on staff for all four years. The annual staff tradition of a Thanksgiving meal on the Monday meeting...