Joe Schroeder crowned Coach of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joe Schroeder crowned Coach of the Year

Coach Joe Schroeder watches while the in-door track team practices.

Emily Gazzaniga

Emily Gazzaniga

Emily Gazzaniga

Spencer Pogue, Assistant Editor

Following the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) girls’ cross-country team victory at the Division 5 State Championships, boys’ and girls’ track and cross country coach Joe Schroeder was named the Division 5 Girls’ Cross Country Coach of the Year by the Boston Globe.

Athletic Director Mark McCarthy commended Coach Schroeder and the team for their perseverance. “I think that it’s a great accomplishment for Joe to get this award, especially since we struggled to field a girls’ cross-country team last year, and this year’s team went on to win the Division 5 championship,” he said. “It’s not only a great honor for Joe but also for the girls on the team, because they were an equally important factor in Joe receiving this award.”

Coach Schroeder grew up watching his father coach several sports, and then interned as a coach when doing his student teaching. After 23 years of coaching, he has found that each year is unique. He said, “Every year is different and you have to adjust expectations and training based on the athletes that you have. That said, you have to have a basic philosophy and culture that is consistent each year.”

Junior cross country and track team member Dash Christy said, “Joe cares a lot for his athletes and knows exactly how to help in training and knows what drills will lead to improvement. He also knows how to keep practice light and fun while keeping people working with high intensity.”

Ashley Biggs, a junior cross country and track team member, emphasized Joe’s inclusivity. “He has shown me that everyone is equally important on the team and it is important to pay attention to everyone regardless of their skill level. He knows how to push people, and he always goes above and beyond for everyone.”

For Coach Schroeder, the award is emblematic of the program’s success. “It’s great to receive the recognition that our team and our program deserves. It’s really about the program and not just the coach,” he said. “We all put an incredible amount of time into making things happen, so recognizing that is important as well.”

About the Contributors
Emily Gazzaniga, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Emily Gazzaniga is a junior and an Assistant Editor-in-Chief of The High School View. She has been on the staff for two years and was previously the Photography...