West Tisbury third graders join the Best Buddies club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emily Gazzaniga, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

The Best Buddies club of Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School (MVRHS) hosted the West Tisbury school third graders in the library this past Friday as part of an event that invited students to read short stories and picture books aloud to one another. The gathering was held in celebration of World Read Aloud Day.

Best Buddies is an international program that establishes meaningful friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities. The club also provides fun opportunities for students that include activities like horseback riding and art projects.

MVRHS librarian Kevin McGrath, who is the faculty advisor of the Best Buddies club, organized this event with the help of West Tisbury school librarian, Stephanie Dreyer. Mr. McGrath said, “This is a nice way to get the middle schoolers involved with Best Buddies, which is one thing we’re trying to do more of. We want kids in middle school to be aware of Best Buddies, as well as participate in it too.”
On Friday of this coming week, the Edgartown School eighth graders will meet with the Best Buddies club to continue the sharing of stories.

About the Writer
Emily Gazzaniga, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Emily Gazzaniga is a junior and an Assistant Editor-in-Chief of The High School View. She has been on the staff for two years and was previously the Photography...