Students top teachers in March Madness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students top teachers in March Madness

Jeremy Light drives to the basket

Jeremy Light drives to the basket

Colin Henke

Jeremy Light drives to the basket

Colin Henke

Colin Henke

Jeremy Light drives to the basket

Emma Searle and Spencer Pogue

Teams of both teachers and students engaged in friendly competition this past month in the Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School’s (MVRHS) first annual March Madness tournament. In all, 16 teams competed in the three-on-three basketball tournament from which the students emerged victorious in a 56-33 win in Friday’s final game.

Restorative Coordinator Nell Coogan organized the tournament, which took place during Flex blocks throughout the month. Each team participated in a round robin competition where 12-minute games determined their placement in a tournament bracket that was then played out over the next two weeks. Students were invited to sign up and attend.

The tournament created a social dynamic that students and teachers alike enjoyed. Jeremy Regan, a junior on the varsity basketball team, said, “I enjoyed playing in these games because I got to play against kids who are also on the basketball team, and I got to play against teachers. It was eye-opening to see how good some of them were.”

A twist in the tournament was the set of restrictions imposed on the teams: no two kids on a team of three could be from the same grade or from the varsity basketball team. According to Jeremy, this added to the team dynamic, and helped foster school spirit and community.

Junior participant Jack Pizzano spoke to the intense atmosphere created by the high-energy games. “The energy on the courts was electric. Everybody really wanted to win,” he said. “It was a lot of fun, a lot of teams, a lot of competition.”

Many students found companionship among fellow players and competitors during the games. Although his team didn’t make it past the first round, senior Owen Bresnick still appreciated the opportunity to bond with his peers and faculty. “It was great to get a team together and build some school spirit. There’s no ill will towards anyone, you’re just playing some basketball,” he said.

The final game this past Friday was close throughout. In the end it was sophomore Nico DePaula’s strong shooting skills and the tenacity of junior Jared Regan and freshman Antone Moreis that overcame an aggressive display of defense by faculty members Jeremy Light, John Fiorito, Mike Joyce, and Craig Yuhas.

“I wish we could’ve gotten more people in the stands,” said Mr. Yuhas, “but it was a success and we should definitely continue to do this next year.

About the Contributors
Emma Searle, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Emma Searle has worked on the High School View since her junior year and currently serves as Assistant Editor-in-Chief. Emma enjoys getting the chance...

Colin Henke, Photography Editor

Colin Henke is a Senior and has been on the staff since halfway through his junior year, becoming the photo editor his senior year. Some of the highlights...